Monday, October 10, 2022

Diorama For Tidewater Wharf Build

Tidewater Wharf Structures Find a Diorama

I have completed the four structures found in the Builders In Scale Kit called Tidewater Wharf.

It's now time to place them together in a scene.

Click on any image to enlarge and outside the image to return to the default look of the page.


Keep in mind...this diorama is only a temporary measure.


The structures will be planted permanently on a friend's layout.


So...I have made the structures easily removeable with a simple dab of glue on the corners at their foundations.


Note how there is a small gap where the base of the boat ramp touches the water.  I ensured that the ramp would not be damaged when it will be removed...thus no touching of the water pour.


The first structure I tackled was the sailmaker building on the lower left.  Next was the diner which I attached to the sailmaker's facility.  Then it was on to the boat repair shed with the lighthouse being left til last.


I chose the rear of the boat repair shed as the location for the railroad spur, although other options were present.


Looking good with my Boston & Maine 44-tonner in place!


The lighthouse is the focal point of the diorama.


I love the bottomless boat guarding the entrance to the diner...a nice touch, that!


The lighthouse represents the one found at Nantucket.


Barnacles appear on the pilings.


The stone wall plaster sections that came in the kit did not match the height of the boat ramp, so I simply scratchbuilt the concrete retaining walls.


I could have brought a rail spur up along the right side of the repair shed...another option.


Depending on how the structure will be placed on my friend's layout, a spur siding may very well find its way along this side of the large shed.


The rear with the brick office outcrop.


I particularly like the look of the lumber storage area...much needed lumber for boat repairs.


In different lighting.


With the B&M crew in the mix.


An aerial view.


A three-quarter view.


In the early phase I simply built up sections of masonite over top some 1x3 lumber I had on hand.


Little sections of 1x3 and 1x2 help to elevate the scene.


This gives me a sneak peek at how things will land.


Looking good!


Getting there.


This configuration will be what I go with.


My trusty weights help hold the elevated land in place.


Other scenic elements will take away the ragged appearance.


The simple act of painting the surfaces black serves to bring the overall scene together.


Some styrofoam is glued in place as a base for the  rocks.


Then Plaster of Paris is applied and carved, once dry.


Time to offer up a "wash" of acrylic black and water.


Initial phases of the wash.


That's more like it!


I'm really liking the appearance of the elements.


Time to scratchbuild some of the retaining walls.


My trusty squares assist with the vertical nature of the boards.


Coming along!


The retaining wall is settled in place.


The overall scene is coming along.


The concrete retaining wall is in place.


The rocky outcrop gets a dose of ground foam in the mixed blend.


Time to stain the rails and ties.


Selecting the location of the spur.


Those weights help serve a multitude of purposes!


Time to build the boardwalk around the sailmaker structure and  leading to the door of the diner.


I'm liking this!


Rope will act as a safety measure for the railing.


Thread will suffice.


Nut/bolt castings.


Help with the track bumper.


Our B&M crew feel safe atop the rails.


My clipper vessel sits in for a photo.


Time to scratch build the jib crane from the plans.


This is an easy task as the plans are "to size".


Looking good once more!


Pulleys for the crane...slightly out of focus.


Some ground foam adds depth to the scene.


Barnacles are glued to the bottom of the pilings.


Masking tape keeps the water pour in place.


A bit of wave action.


The diorama fills with water and other smaller details.


The wave crests are close together as we near the coast.


A closer look at the diner with the water pour still drying.


Dry brushing the crests of the waves.


The completed diorama.


This has been a fun build.


The lighthouse appears in its place of prominence.


A couple of figures and other details add to the scene.


Builders In Scale did a fine job with this wonderful kit offering!


I can't wait to get these marine structures in place on my friend's layout!
When not building models, I enjoy performing with other musicians at pubs, dances and parties!
All the best, Mike Hamer, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment