Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Hamilton Model Works - Wooden Grain Elevator

Wood Sided Grain Elevator

An HO scale offering from Hamilton Model Works
My good friend, John Mitchell, asked me if I would be interested in building this kit for his New York Central/Canada Southern model railroad.
"Heck yeah!" was my response!
Follow along as you show you the steps I took in creating this little gem of a structure.


I offered to build a kit for my friend, John Mitchell, that would reside on his double-decked New York Central layout.
You can enlarge the photos by clicking on them and return to the default look of the page by clicking outside them.


John was thrilled and he presented me with a box from Hamilton Model Works.


The kit is a wooden grain elevator that John remembered from long ago.


The single prototype photograph John had of the structure was a black and white image, but the elevator was obviously painted in a dark colour.


It must be November as I have a moustache I grew in support of men's cancer research.  The fundraiser is called "Movember" with the "M" standing for moustache.


The foundation of the structure is a single resin piece.
I first washed the resin in detergent to remove any agents before painting and weathering.


I used acrylic paints and chalks to weather the rock work.


To get the dark chocolate brown appearance for the walls, I used a variety of washes of stains followed by an application of acrylic paint washes.


I really like the colour combination of the walls with the stone.


Good old rubber bands help keep the various wall sections in place as the glue cures.


Nothing like a great looking corrugated roof to touch things off nicely.


Painted and weathered with acrylics and rust coloured powders.


Followed by some blacks and greys for further roof weathering.


A couple of nice close-up shots.


The other side of the structure.


Ahh...finally complete!


 I believe this manufacturer is no longer in business.
It was a joy building this kit for my friend, John.


Have a great day in the train yard!
I look forward to posting more of my craftsman structure builds in the near future!
All the best, Mike Hamer,  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment