Monday, April 10, 2023

Twins!

Twins

I recommended to my friend, David, that he purchase the Foscale structure, "King of Clubs" seeing as he is a musician like me.

I had already owned this kit and it resided in its packaging until recently when I constructed it in anticipation of making the same kit a second time for David.

Of interest is the fact that my version had the street corner placed to the front right of the building.  For David's version I would have to "mirror image" the structure seeing as his "King of Clubs" would reside on a different corner block with the street corner occurring on the left side of his building.


Here are the two versions side by side.
You can enlarge the images by clicking on them and return to the default look of the page by clicking outside them.


David's is more slightly weathered as it will adorn a seaside scene where the salt air will affect the paint.


These fraternal twins sure look great together.


In this close-up view we see that the street corner is located to the left of the structure.


The roof top sign has been reversed to match the corner scene...as has the canopy that surrounds the two sides of the building.


I cut up the signage for Live Music and The King of Clubs as it was all a single sign along with the yellow printing.


A stack comes out from the far end.


As photographed before I added people to the sidewalk scene on David's version.


Very colourful indeed.


Lots of great music emenates from these two lounges!


Here is where the structure will be placed on the street corner in the shadow of the viaduct Carl built from scratch.


An aerial view of the yet to be finished street scene.


Looking over the pickle factory at the street.


A lower angle shot.


Here was the kit package before opening.


With the large sign applied to the wall, it was time to cut out the openings for the windows.


To create the sidewalk at the "other" end of the structure, I simply flipped the section over.  Then it was a simple matter of scribing in the sidewalk divisions.


In place.


I have penciled in the divisions and will scribe them with a dull X-acto blade.


The canopy had to be constructed "in reverse" in order to mirror the original kit.


I've measured carefully and drawn in the lines where I will place the painter's tape for the upper canopy to be finished.


I have now sprinkled on and wet-glued some ground foam in place.


After painting the ground foam and letting it dry, I now am able to remove the painter's tape.


The cable supports are in place to hold the canopy and I have glued the roof down.  My trusty metal weights certainly look like "overkill" but they get the job down as the glue sets.


The upper decorative area is now glued in place and my small clamps also look like "overkill" but they get the job done as well.


All is well.  Now to add some little people to the sidewalk.


Done!


I can hear the sounds of Jazz coming "live" from the main concert area in the King of Clubs "All Night Jazz" lounge!


Carl also sent me some images from our last session at David's home.


Looking good!


The next step will be to complete one last structure before scenicking the entire city block.


There's David with one of his British locomotives which will ply the viaduct above while North American rolling stock and engines will work the harbour town of Thornton down below.  A fun concept for this Brit who has lived in Canada for some time now!


A low angle shot in the developing town of Thornton.


Thanks for checking in on this "twin build".

To visit my earlier build of the twin building, visit the blog archive in the right hand column at the top of the page and go to March 2023 "King of Clubs by Foscale" where you will see a more detailed analysis of the build.

Or, you can simply cut and paste the link below into your computer's browser!

https://craftsmanstructures.blogspot.com/2023/03/king-of-clubs-by-foscale.htm

All the best,  Mike Hamer. Ottawa. Ontario, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment